If you know me, you know that I love simple and delicious recipes and these brownies are no exception.
When I was first diagnosed with PCOS I thought that was it. The foods I loved were out (like brownies) and I was going to be living on carrot sticks and hummus for the rest of my life. Although, that ain’t a bad thing because we all know how much I love hummus.
Since then I’ve come up with a collection of various brownie recipes and today I’m going to share with you my simple PCOS friendly chocolate brownies.
Why are they PCOS friendly?
Well they are filled with:
- slow releasing carbs;
- healthy fats; and
- natural sugars
These brownies are wonderful fresh out of the oven or fridge, with a side of fresh berries or your favourite PCOS friendly ice cream.
PCOS Friendly Chocolate Brownies
- 50 g 85% Dark Chocolate roughly chopped
- ¼ C Walnuts roughly chopped, extra for topping
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Flour
- 2 Tbsp Cacao Powder
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ Tsp Pink Salt
- 3 Eggs
- 1 C Sweet Potato peeled, boiled and mashed
- ¼ C Maple Syrup
- ¼ C Coconut Oil melted
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat over to 180°C (350°F) and line a 20cm x 20cm tin with baking paper
- Bring a pot of water to boil, add peeled sweet potato. Cook until just tender, set aside to cool and then mash until smooth
- Meanwhile, combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, vanilla essence. Add sweet potato and stir until well combined
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix well
- Mix in chopped chocolate and walnuts and stir to combine (make sure to reserve some walnuts for topping)
- Gently pour the mixture into the lined tin and spread evenly. Tap on bench to ensure there are no air bubbles within the mixture
- Sprinkle a left over chopped walnuts on top
- Place in oven and cook for 20-25 mins or until a skewer poked in the centre comes out clean
- Place brownie on a wire rack and allow to cool
- Enjoy fresh out of the oven or fridge with fresh berries or your favourite PCOS friendly ice cream