Oh Melbourne, you can never make up your mind, can you?
You would think after living my whole life here, I would be oh so use to the whole four seasons in one day thing you have going. I can confirm I am not!
We’ve hit a bit of a cold snap lately. It’s a stark but welcoming reminder that Autumn is near and with it comes dreams of cosy nights in, hot chocolates and delectable cravings for all kinds of soups and broths.
One of the easiest ways to make a soup or broth when you’re short on time is to make a bulk lot of bone broth to use as your base. You can freeze it for up to six months. Bone broth has all kinds of amazing nutritional benefits and is so easy to make. It supports your gut health, bone health and immune system. It’s so easy to use frozen premade broth. You can quickly defrost it, throw in some veg and you have a nourishing meal ready to go.
I remember coming home after an appointment late one night last winter. All I wanted was a nourishing bowl of chicken soup but, didn’t have the time or energy to make it. I was so glad that I had some bone broth sitting in the freezer and a piece of chicken breast in the fridge. With my eyes darting around the shelves of my fridge, I was lucky enough to have an abundance of flavour combos came to mind.
This my friends, is how I came up with my Thai Chicken Broth. It’s spicy from the chilli, fresh from the coriander and zingy from the lemon. Overall, it’s delicious, warming and just want I needed that day.
Now, it wouldn’t be fair of me to keep this bowl of delightfulness all to myself. It has become one of my Autumn and Winter dinner staples and I’m sure it will become one of your favourites too.
Let me know in the comments if you want the recipe to my bone broth. I might even make a little video to go with it too, so you can see all the nourishing components of it all.
Have the best weekend, and don’t forget to show me what you’re cooking up over the weekend by tagging me on Instagram @mysimpleplate.
Thai Chicken Broth
- 2 Cups Bone Broth (pre-prepared, or chicken stock works as well)
- 1 Whole Chicken Breast
- 1 Bunch Buk Choy (can substitute for favourite greens)
- 2 Stems Celery Chopped
- 1 Cup Parsley Chopped
- 1 Cup Coriander Chopped
- ½ Red Chilli Thinly Sliced
- In a pot, heat up bone broth by bringing it to the boil, then turn down to a simmer
- Add the chicken breast into the broth. If the chicken isn’t fully covered by the broth add extra water. Then place a lid on the pot and let chicken poach on a low heat for 25 minutes. Chicken is ready when opaque through the middle.
- Once chicken is ready add in the chilli, celery, and buk choy and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Bring back to the boil and add in the parsley and coriander stir through and then take off heat.
- Remove chicken from broth and slice on a diagonal.
- Pour broth into serving bowls, add chicken and top with extra coriander, chilli slices and lemon wedge.